Audit Report Greenhouse Gas Balance
Integrale Planung GmbH
T +41 43 488 38 90
F +41 43 488 38 99
To the Group Executive Board of Geberit AG
Zürich, February 2, 2023
Geberit Group – Greenhouse gas balance (Scope 1 and 2) for the fiscal year 2022
> Independent auditor’s report
Based on our audit, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the Geberit Group’s Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas balance for the fiscal year 2022 has not been prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with the criteria. Based on this assessment limited assurance, we can therefore confirm that the subject matter complies with and meets the specified criteria.
Mandate and scope of the audit
We have been engaged to perform a limited assurance review for the reporting period from January 1, 2022 to December 31, 2022 on the following subject matter:
- The Geberit Group’s greenhouse gas balance (Scope 1 and 2) for the 2022 financial year
- The verification of the basic data and emission factors used
- The assessment of the “market-based” approach to calculating CO2 emissions from electricity
- The review of the report formulation with regard to GRI standards 302-1, 305-1, 305-2 and 2-5
The greenhouse gas balance was prepared based on the following criteria defined by Geberit:
- ISO 14064-1:2018, WRI/WBCSD Greenhouse Gas Protocol and GRI Standards 302-1, 305-1, 305-2 and 2-5
- The GHG reporting processes defined by Geberit and listed in the EHS Managers’ Manual, as well as the specified templates for data collection and data validation by the EHS Managers at site and Group level
Responsibility of Geberit AG
The Executive Management of Geberit AG is responsible for the preparation of the greenhouse gas balance in accordance with the criteria. This responsibility includes the design, the implementation and maintenance of adequate internal controls related to the preparation of the greenhouse gas inventories, including the calculation of greenhouse gas emissions, that are free from material misstatement, whether due to fraud or error. In addition, the management is responsible for the selection and application of criteria and for maintaining appropriate records.
Responsibility of the auditor
Our responsibility is to express an opinion on the greenhouse gas balancing and the emission factors used therein based on our limited assurance engagement.
We conducted our review in accordance with the Guidance and Verification of Greenhouse Gas Statements (ISO 14064-3:2019) to determine whether the subject matter has been prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with the criteria listed above.
Considering risk and materiality considerations, we performed audit procedures to obtain sufficient and appropriate audit evidence. The procedures selected depend on the judgement of the independent auditor. In a limited assurance engagement, the procedures performed are less extensive than in a reasonable assurance engagement and therefore offers a more limited level of assurance.
We have performed the following essential work:
- Assessment of the requirements for greenhouse gas balancing and their practical implementation
- Interviews with key data suppliers and EHS managers from selected locations
- Interviewing the managers at group level in the areas of operations, procurement and sustainability
- Inspection of the organisational structure, the level of knowledge and training of the employees involved, the methods of data collection and processing as well as the internal controls that are relevant for the audit review
- Analytical considerations, interviews and inspection of the documentation of the systems and processes for collecting, calculating, recording, analysing and aggregating the data, including document reviews and random sampling
- Assessment and review of the methodology used to calculate the Geberit Group’s greenhouse gas balance incl. the verification of emission factors and the “market-based” electricity mix calculation
- Review of the report formulation in accordance with GRI 302-1, 305-1 and 305-2 as well as the development of a wording proposal regarding GRI 2-5
We believe that the audit evidence we have obtained is sufficient and appropriate to provide a basis for our audit result.
Intep – Integral Planning GmbH